Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Dive bar & tacos - w00t!

Written by Wifey.

Hubby loves country music. I hate country music. But, I love Hubby. :-p Sooooo... when I found out that Cinema Bar, was hosting "Cliff Wagner and the Swamp Coolers", a bluegrass/Americana/country band that evening, I figured it would be a good date night. Plus, it meant discovering a local dive bar, which is always a good time. :-)

The bar is awesome. It's a hidden gem, that you could easily drive by hundreds of time and never notice (I know, because we have driven past it tons of times, and I never did notice!) It's very small, but that's what adds to the awesomeness. Imagine that you're sitting around, shooting the sh*t with a friend in their basement bar. That's exactly what this bar feels like. It's so nice and chill, you walk in, and instantly feel this camaraderie with all the other people huddled around the bar. Bartenders are friendly, bathrooms are clean, and drinks are a well priced & strong. Which helps when listening to music that you hate. I must admit, between the great environment & strong drinks, when the band started playing I was thoroughly enjoying myself, and even found myself dancing to the music. Which Hubby found incredibly amusing of course! :-p It helped that the band was good, and kept the energy of the room high. Never thought I'd be enjoying music from a guy with a long gray beard & overalls!

Of course, a good night at the bar isn't complete without drunken tacos. Luckily, right across the street from Cinema Bar is 2 local taco joints - Cinco de Mayo & Titos Tacos. Now, I know that Tito's is a West LA landmark... but quite frankly, I don't get the hype. They're okay... but not spectacular enough to merit the long wait in line to pay cash only for decent Mexican food. So, we thumbed our noses at Titos, and headed to Cinco de Mayo next door. Maybe it was the booze, but they had some darn good tacos! Plus, we didn't have to wait in line, and were able to escape the chill of the evening at the tables inside. :-) So, that's a win in my book!

No comments:

Post a Comment