Hubby and I don't have kids quite yet, but we're pretty much big kids at heart. So, for this week's date night I decided to dip back into my childhood for some fun Halloween activities. :-)
We started off the night heading to our local pumpkin patch! I've never actually been to a pumpkin patch... as a kid, we got all our pumpkins from the grocery store. I've seen them on TV though, so I had high expectations of petting zoos, rides, and gigantic pumpkins! :-p My expectations were... sorta met. The petting zoo was interesting... they had fuzzy chickens! I thought they were bunnies or something, but nope, they were chickens! Plus, there was a llama, and an alpaca, and a bunch of actual bunnies. Cuteness everywhere! Also cute was the train driving around the lot, with excited kids. And of course, there was a bunch of pumpkins, of all shapes & varieties - white ones, long ones, yellow-ish ones, classic orange, giant $70 behemoths, etc. So, I could see the potential of awesomeness. But, since we were there mid-week, and rather late... so it was kinda dead. The smooth jazz music being piped over the speakers didn't exactly help either. Either way, a new experience is always welcome!!
So, now that we had pumpkins, next on my list was caramel apples! Whoo-hoo! And we weren't going to cheat either... none of this silly caramel wrap crap, where you just envelop the apple in a sheet of caramel, jab in a stick and call it a day. No-sir-ee-bob, we were going to do it old school! Sitting there for an hour unwrapping little squares of chocolate, melting it down, and swirling the apple around in a bowl, trying to get that proper layer that's not too thick, not too thin, and not to goopy (yes, goopy is a word, I swear!). One minor glitch... it would appear that people just don't make caramel apples the classic way. 3 different stores, and all we could find were the "cheat sheets" and liquid apple dip (which doesn't really solidify, so wouldn't work either).
seriously?? Luckily, hubby convinced me to try just one more store, and we lucked out at Target! Found a pkg of "unwrapped caramel", specially designed for dipping apples. Score! And we also decided to get creative, and try to make some fancy apples - layer of caramel, layer of white chocolate candy dip, layer of crushed graham crackers, a few sprinkles... the result wasn't exactly as pretty as Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory, but ooooohhhhhh.... *drool*... sooo gooood.... Needless to say, hubby and I were bouncing off the walls by the end of the night!!!We didn't have enough time to carve the pumpkins, but that's okay, cuz it was a fantastically relaxing night, spending time together, chatting, and enjoying the joys of the Halloween season! (and I'm still enjoying the joys 4 days later... we made a LOT of caramel apples! :-p)
No comments:
Post a Comment