Thursday, October 21, 2010

Suck it, Rave.

I must confess – I have been bad about writing Date Night entries  It’s already Thursday, Wifey’s Date Night, and I’m only now writing this! For shame.. FOR SHAME. I am a terrible Hubby…

But, can’t dwell on these things too long – time to report on my (out-of-date) Date Night! And now I’m wishing it was more exciting to write about ;) We, quite simply, went to see a movie. We’re movie folks, y’see, and so we like watching these things. So, having slacked on our movie-going experiences we went out for a nice evening with the bigscreen.

Now here’s the trouble – anyone notice the random sampling of crap out there? It took quite a bit of scouring to decide which movie to watch, because we either did not recognize them, or it was too dark/depressing/stupid/etc. But mostly because we didn’t recognize any of them. We finally decided to see “Easy A”, having been recommended by others. But, where to find a theatre that was still playing it? That also proved difficult, but we managed to track down a showing at our local Rave 18.

Now, let me tell you about the “Rave 18”. It is a pile of suck. At one point I was $10 away from never seeing another movie in a theatre as a direct result of the fiasco that is that friggin’ theatre. I don’t know what it is – but people do NOT shut the hell up over there. I don’t mind the occasional whisper, or whatever, but if I have to cup by hands around my ears to hear the damn movie, you’re doin’ it wrong. Our running theory was that it’s a popular teen hangout, so we started going later at night (past curfew), hoping that we would get a bit better (quieter?) experience. Nope. The adults are equally rowdy. What the hell?

So yeah, the Rave 18 can go suck it. We’ll really only go there if we’re desperate or if we have a group and that’s a convenient meeting point.

The Landmark, on the other hand, remains our favorite movie theatre. That place got me excited about seeing movies again! Nice location, fancy interiors, and an audience that does not suck. Unfortunately, thought, Easy A was not playing at the Landmark, so we had to support the Rave’s suck-it-fund. Oh well.

On to “Easy A” – great movie! Really, really enjoyed it. It’s a high-school comedy but it really makes more fun of the whole thing than trying to pander to it. Wifey made the point that many kids may not understand why adults would laugh at many of the movie’s jokes, because they don’t yet have the all-important “High School Really Doesn’t Matter, It Just Seems Like It Does” perspective. So many haha’s in this one, along with the occasional grimace as you remember something totally stupid you did in High School and are able to laugh about it now.

So if you haven’t seen “Easy A”, get to it. Funny movie.

That is all,

Hubby

No comments:

Post a Comment