Sunday, February 5, 2012

Fairy Tales for Adults

 Written by Wifey.

This week, I looked to Goldstar again for a date night idea.  One of the happy perks about living in LA is the large amount of theatres within spitting distance.  Probably doesn't overcome the lack of trees that Hubby is always complaining about, but hey, we got us some culture! :-P Among the possibilities, Fairy Tale Theatre: 18 & Over caught my eye.  "profane lessons on .... sex...relationships...and smartphone addictions"?  with puppets?? oh yeah... this works  Quick glance through the reviews to make sure it's not totally lame (a rather impressive almost unanimous thumbs up), and off we headed to the Matrix Theatre!

The production is a series of fairy tales written for adults, complete with talking animals & a moral at the end of the story.  We were treated to soon-to-be-classic tales such as "The Princess & The Smartphone", "The Tale of the Monkeys and Their Pet", and of course, "The Cloud Who Was Into Some Weird Shit"...  If this sounds a bit odd, abso-freakin-lutely.  The first skit or two weren't the greatest... I was kinda thinking, "oh-boy, I can't believe I spent a whole $15pp on this...." but by the end of the night, I was thinking: "holy crap, and this was only $15pp!!" while wiping tears out of my eyes from laughing so hard.  Yeah... it was that awesome.  To give you an idea, here's some of the quotes from the evening...

  • "Raise your hand if you're secretly gay!"
  • "Let's make a northeast storm front!"
  • "The only thing worse than dog people are baby people. "
  • "The best gaydar in all the land... just go with it people."
  • "I know at least this.... you have all just watched something."
  • "Hubby: I think I'm turned on... by a cloud. "
I'm kinda tempted to go back again for another round of laughs, since we've heard that they swap in new fairy tales regularly.  So yeah... Fairy Tale Theatre is pretty damn awesome.  If you get the chance, check it out, and be prepared to laugh at the ribbon dancers/monkeys/clouds/emoticons/etc that prance across the screen for your viewing pleasure!!

No comments:

Post a Comment