Monday, February 13, 2012

Roller Derby!

Instead of our usual Thursday Date Night, this past week we decided to push it out a little to a Saturday so that we may check out the LA Roller Derby! We've never attended one before, and for some reason did not even think they were still around!

But they are, and they are awesome.

Roller Derby, for those not in the know, involves a number of players on rollerskates on an oval track, where one player on each team (the jammer) tries to force his/her way through a bunch of blocking players in order to score points.

I won't really go into all the details, but the rules are pretty simple. But this is something you really need to see to believe. We went to see the Derby Dolls in LA, so specifically women's roller derby, which we thought may be much more of experience than men's roller derby.

Call us sexist. Do it, you know you want to! ;)

But nonetheless, women's roller derby it was and what a night it was! These girls are amazing and how on earth they stay on their feet while literally getting body-slammed is utterly beyond me. We watched a match between the LA Ri-ettes and Colorado's Team Bionic. Unfortunately the Ri-ettes lost but it was an incredible match nonetheless. What really, really struck us though is that it's been a long time since we've seen some real, honest, and true sportsmanship. Even though these girls were in the middle of an intense match we witnessed the following:
  • Two girls on opposing teams doing a little jig together while waiting for the whistle to blow to start the jam
  • Audience members cheering for both team interchangeably, without hesitation
  • When a player got injured, all of the skaters got off their skates and waited patiently while the damage was assessed.

I mean, we're talking true, honest and respectful sportsmanship. I was blown away by it. All you see these days on TV is about how one Football or Basketball team is about to rip the heads off another, and here you have folks that really enjoy the sport, challenge and competition without the unnecessary rivalry.

Or, at least, that's what I hope. You never know what happens behind the scenes or if there are some teams out there that'll rip each other apart given the chance, but I'll happily remain ignorant and hopeful :)

So, all in all, great night of Roller Derby spectating, new levels of respect attained for a new sport I have not had the chance to witness up until that night, and (oh oh oh!) celebrity sightings! Wifey got a picture with Nathan Fillion, and we also saw Alan Tudyk as well as Missy Pyle! Wifey was beside herself, what with being a huge Castle fan and all! I wanted to tell Alan Tudyk I love his character on Suburgatory, but I was afraid he might sell me veneers ;)

- Hubby


No comments:

Post a Comment