Sunday, May 8, 2011

Ode to the Chinese Foot Massage

Written by Wifey.

Oh Chinese Foot Massage, how do I love you... let me count the ways...
1) dirt cheap massage. $19.99 for a full hour, plus tip
2) deep tissue heaven - I've never had to ask for more pressure, like I always have to do at the spa
3) did i mention dirt cheap massage?

Last year, one of our good friends introduced us to the concept of a "Chinese Foot Massage". It's an upgrade from those 15 minute chair massage places in the mall, but a step down from going to a fancy spa. I don't know if there's such a thing as a Thai or Vietnamese or German Foot Massage in the same style, cuz I've always just heard of these places referred to as "Chinese".

Anyway! The massages take place in this giant common room, filled with these special easy-chairs that lay flat and have a hole for your face (similar to a real massage table). You sit down, roll up your pants & sleeps, and then lay back while you soak your feet in hot water, and receive a massage for your head, shoulders, & arms. Eventually, they move on to your feet, cuz well, duh, it's a foot massage. But here's where the awesome-ness of the Chinese Foot Massage kicks in - they don't just stop at your feet!! This is actually a full body experience (though unlike a spa, you're fully clothed the entire time), so after they're done with your feet, which is already pure heaven, you flip over and receive an equally fantastic back massage.

And all of this costs around ~$20-25. AWESOME!

I found a Chinese Foot Massage place near us, Happy Feet, where Hubby and I could go and be spoiled for an hour. And ahhh, spoiled we were. The environment was perfect for relaxing and losing yourself for a bit. Dim lighting, quiet classical music, and relatively decent decorations. We both had male masseuses, but I think Hubby was so relaxed, he didn't care at all. We both walked out of there in a blissful haze, relatively stress free. Just what we needed after a rather rough week!

After that, it was still a bit early, so we grabbed a late dinner, and curled up with some TV.

So, not nearly as exciting as seeing Alki David's mangina, but just what we needed all the same!

PS. If you want to experience a Chinese Foot Massage for yourself, Yelp is a good place to search. Just a warning though - the massage is deep tissue/shiatsu style. It will hurt at times. But, it's a good hurt, because how else will you work out all the knots!

No comments:

Post a Comment