Thursday, May 26, 2011

The night was magic... literally!

Written by Wifey.

Have I mentioned how much Groupon rocks? For date night, I can find the most random & interesting local activities for a nice cost. :-) Groupon rocks! This week, I got tickets to Magicopolis, a magic/comedy show in Santa Monica. It's run by this cute older couple, Steve Spill & Bozena Wrobel. We weren't sure what to expect when we arrived, but the theatre/store itself is worth the visit, with all the interesting decor, including a few body parts, a skeleton themed stain glass window, & other various pieces of magical art. Plus, there's a bar in the lobby, where you can see a few parlor tricks from the bartender. Good stuff!!

The show itself is a mix of magic & comedy. The comedy was heavy on the cheesiness, but they do it with such an eager toothy grin, that you can't help but laugh. :-p I especially loved Bozena's little comedy routine about learning magic from an "Acme" box. Great stuff!

The magic ranged from simple card tricks to a "death-defying" escape from falling sharp pointing spikes. I actually preferred the simplicity of the smaller tricks, because I still haven't figured out how they were done! At the beginning, the magician gave a little speech about just enjoying the magic, and not trying to discover the "trick", but since Hubby and I are engineers, we're constantly trying to figure out how things work, whether it's something on the street, in the doctor's office, or part of a magic show. :-p So, of course, during the intermission we were debating all the different tricks. We figured out the escape act, and we knew the levitation trick from the "Breaking the Magicians Code" TV show from the 90s. But it was the little things, like supposedly linking 3 random rings from the audience together, or moving coins without actually touching them, that had me most intrigued. So yeah, guess we appreciated the "magic" after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment