So first, a date night related tangent...
Ever hear of that book Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus? Never read it personally, but from what a friend tells me, Hubby and I are living proof of many of the theories in there.
So, for example, while planning date night this week, I read reviews & tips for the show we were going to attend, mapped the location, determined the best route given traffic, and set the timeline - we had to leave the house at 6pm in order to make it to the show an hour early and get the best seats. Since both of us were late escaping the office, we ended up not leaving until 6:30pm, and sat in barely moving traffic, further complicated by construction detours. By the time we got to the venue, I was tense and frustrated, sure that being late would ruin the the evening (of course, it didn't).
On the flip side, we have Hubby. Sometimes he does research for our date nights, but more often then not he's looking up directions & info as we're heading out the door. One time, for his date night he took us down to Downtown Disney. I thought about pointing out that with travel time, it'd be pretty late, would things still be open? But, kept my mouth shut, cuz hey, it's his date night, and this would teach him to plan better. Right? Not so much. We got there, and had about half an hour before everything closed. And was Hubby upset? nope! He just shrugged, and said oh well, we can window shop and explore anyway! :-p
Yeah.. Hubby is totally from Mars, and I'm definitely from Venus, but it's okay, cuz no matter who's planning it, we end up enjoying eachother's company!!
And now, back to the main topic of this week's date night!

This week, I found an interesting show "For the Record: Baz Lurmann". I adore the movie "Moulin Rouge", and hey, small musical theatre performance? heck yeah!
The show was pe
rformed in this small bar/restaurant called "Barre" (yeah, clever eh?). Very packed venue, cuz it was a sold out show. The show was very interesting - highlights from Baz Lurmann movies, with the first act mostly from Romeo + Juliet, and the second half completely from Moulin Rouge. :-p It was like watching 2 movies summarized into a neat little package! The performers used the entire venue, and interacted with the audience - they walked on the bar, hugged random people, and even stole drinks & food from unsuspecting audience members. When it's obvious the performers are having fun, the audience has fun too. And we did!
Apart from the show, the venue was just okay. I thought it was cute that they had Moulin Rouge themed drinks made from absinthe (didn't get to partake since we had to get home somehow!), and it was an intimate setting. I didn't like how they required a 2 cocktail minimum though, plus an automatic 18% gratuity. I was expecting a cheap date night, but it was slightly pricey after food, cocktails, & tickets. The other issue I had with the venue is that the seats closer to the band stage get overpowered by the noise from the drums, so for the first half (Romeo + Juliet songs are very heavy on drums!), we could barely hear the singers.
Over all though, the awesome Moulin Rouge second half overcame any flaws with the venue, and we had a great evening. :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment