I love a good Western. You've got your cowboys, your outlaws, your loose women, your guns, and a good ol' helpin' of desperate times. 'Tis why I really enjoyed Rango, aside from its excellent animation and such. Nothing beats a great Western!
So I was, of course, thrilled at being able to catch a showing of Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid at the Aero Theater in Santa Monica. The movie is about Pat Garrett, a former outlaw, who is hired as a new sheriff with the single purpose of taking down Billy the Kid. Both of them having been friends prior to Garrett's new assignment. Billy the Kid is on the run, and Pat Garrett is hot (well, sorta-hot) on his trail.
Now, I loved it! Westerns just don't get much better than this! Of course you have this forced rivalry between Garrett and the Kid, but there's also this overbearing sense of corruption everywhere, where nobody really has any idea of what "the law" really is. Even Garrett, as the supposed "Sheriff", was hired in that position by a bunch of cattle barons that simply want to increase their land & cattle ownership. Since Billy the Kid is in their way, well, you see where that is going.
All in all, excellent movie and I was quite pleased at being able to see it for Date Night 4/7. Wifey, on the other hand, was not that thrilled ... ! She considered the movie to be long, "random", slow, with characters dying left and right for no particular good reason!
I received many "I'm doing this because I love you" smiles throughout and after. But you know, that's OK! I had a thoroughly enjoyable evening watching a thoroughly enjoyable movie. It's not my fault my wifey can't appreciate The Classics(c)! ;)
.. though, it seems I am now threatened with the possibility of going purse-shopping for Wifey's next Date Night! D'oh!
Hubby
No comments:
Post a Comment