Sunday, April 15, 2012

Jumping for joy!

Written by Wifey.

Sometimes, I look at my inbox stuffed with random mailers about activities & deals on the area, and I think about canceling all my various subscriptions.  After all, half the time I just read the subject and then promptly archive it, without even reading.  But then, there's that one little gem about a unique restaurant/bar/activity that catches my eye, and just screams "oh oh oh!  that's our next date night!".

This is one of those times.  :-p And this is also why my inbox continues to be stuffed with random LA newsletters!!


Thrillist, an email newsletter that recommends some of those unique little gems, had a newsletter about "Girls Jumping on Trampolines".  o.O  Huh... mildly intriguing enough to read... and discover that in Torrance, there's a gym covered in trampolines... which sounds pretty damn cool...the price seemed right (an hour is about the same cost as a movie ticket)... and then I watched the video... and discovered it was FREAKIN' AWESOME!!!!  :-p So of course, for our next date night, we were off to Sky Zone Sports!!

So, the breakdown... you sign a waiver, get special shoes, and off you go to one of their various areas (a "normal" court, basketball court, dodgeball, or ball pit).  Now, in the words of Hubby, I was apparently a deprived child, and never really got to play on a trampoline.  So, we started off the basics, and headed off to the main court.  Had a few tentative bounces ("whooooaaa... this is kinda weird.... i dunno honey... this seems to require coordination, of which i lack!")... then got a bit braver, and tried bouncing on my butt and jumping to my feet.... and before you knew it, we were both bouncing all over the main court, from square to square and off the walls (cuz, seriously, it is wall-to-wall trampolines including the walls!).  WHEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!  and WHEW! After only 10 minutes it was already quite a workout!

After we got comfy with the basics, we wandered into the other areas.  Dodgeball and Basketball seemed okay, but I'm not exactly the most coordinated person, so it wasn't really my thing.  Then, we discovered the ball pit.  Which, isn't quite accurate, cuz it's a giant pit, yes, but it's filled with giant foam cubes instead of balls.  Pretty much, you bounce on two trampoline squares, and then you fling yourself into the pit of foam.  And it was sooooo much fun!!!  It was pretty hard to hurt yourself cuz of all the squishy foam, so during the hour we were there, I went from tentatively bouncing in place on a trampoline to doing flips in the air into the foam pit.  Of course, once you landed, trying to dig yourself out of the foam cubes was a bit of a challenge, but hey, that just added to the experience! Anyway, the bouncing was a blast, the foam pit was a blast, and Hubby and I pretty much giggled the entire evening, all the way home, and in bed while falling asleep.   :-)  It was a night of awesomeness!!

So, bottom line... if you have a Sky Zone Sports near you, go go go!  I would advise trying just a half hour at first, because by the end of the hour, Hubby and I were sweating up a storm, and I'm pretty sure we burned up more calories than 3 boring gym sessions combined.  And since we're old, we were sore for 3 days straight (it's rather surprising what muscles are used when jumping up & down!!).  But, it was an amazing experience, and one we plan on repeating as soon as we can gather some friends into joining us!  :-)  Yay for fun adventures together!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment