Ever watch a bunch of kids coloring or work on a puzzle? They seem so content? I figured it would be a nice quiet date night this week, putting together a jigsaw puzzle with Hubby. I've been sick for the past week, so Hubby and I really haven't had much conversation time (hard to talk when one person is coughing up a lung, or curled up into a miserable ball!), so, we had lots to catch up on.
Hubby was lobbying for a 1000 piece puzzle, which seemed a bit daunting (neither of us had done a puzzle since kids). But then we spotted this pretty African safari sunset scene, only 300 pieces. Perfect!
Initially, it seemed like a fabulous date night. We set the TV to play the 90's station (*sigh* the music of our youth now has it's own dedicated Oldies station...I feel so old!), and happily chatted away. Being awesome people, we quickly had the border put together, and then things got hard. And I made a realization.
I. Hate. Puzzles. Yeah... I remember not liking them as a kid, but that was ages ago, so I just had some vague memory about not doing many. But I know why now. I hate them. They're so boring!! Like, incredibly bloody boring!! And I thought I was being clever directing Hubby to a 300 piece puzzle instead of a rather hard sounding 1000 piece, but stupidly did not realize that a puzzle with only 2 main colors (black for the shadows, orange for the sunset, and then various shades in between) is far from easy. Blech! So... after about an hour of having my eyes cross as I tried to discern whether a piece fit just the right shade of orange, and if those branches lined up just quite right, I had a moment of clarity "Ooooooohhhh... THIS is why I never did puzzles."
Hubby on the other hand, apparently enjoys puzzles immensely. He spent ages trying to find just the right piece, happily appreciating the slow progress. After much whining on my part, he finally agreed that if we found a particular piece, we could call it a night... and was not impressed when I tried to squish a number of different pieces into "fitting". Hey, it sorta fit! Close enough!! O:-)
Anyway... we finally called it a night, and then finished the puzzle the next day. I was actually getting pretty good about being able to detect the proper shade of color, and visualizing the shape of the missing piece. So, all's well that ends well, but lemme tell you, I'm not planning on repeating this particular date night ever again!!! :-p
![]() |
| The final glorious finished product... |

No comments:
Post a Comment