Monday, November 21, 2011

Pancakes & The Graduate

For some reason, really unknown to me, whenever it rains us South Africans like to make pancakes. And by pancakes I mean crepes. Delicious, delicious pancakes/crepes. And the way I like to do 'em is by stacking them upon one another, with a layer of sugar & cinnamon in between each pancake.

Look, there is no other thing more beautiful on the face of this planet than a stack of pancakes on a rainy day. I stand by that, and I will fight for it!

Now, it turns out that this past Sunday was a particularly rainy one, and I was jonesin' for some pancakes. After a brief discussion with Wifey it was determined that our delayed (gasp) Date Night shall be with pancakes, a Netflix movie, and drinks. On a Sunday. A rainy one. As it should be.

And so we set off to make some pancakes. Wifey and I, being the solid team we are, did the obvious thing and .. had a competition to see whose pancakes would come out better! Since the recipe is pretty much unchanged (same batter, same cinnamon & sugar), it really came down to technique. Pfft, I say! You can't beat a South African at making the pancakes he's made all his life! Wifey took up this challenge with full fervor and made pancakes with an unrelenting determination I have not seen in years!

The result? Full-on deliciousness! See for yourself:


Wifey's pancakes are on the left, mine are on the right.

So who was determined the victor? Well, if you listen to Wifey the victor is the one whose last pancake came out looking like a pancake, not like some half-baked mohawk thing from the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I, on the other hand, say the winner goes to the one whose pancakes took up the largest footprint and resembled actual pancakes, rather than thin flapjacks.

In the end it was determined, however, that Wifey was the winner in this battle of pancake creation. Why? Because she is the Wifey, and I like to see her happy :) Even if my pancakes were better.

We thoroughly demolished our stacks of pancakes and proceeded to watch The Graduate, which was a very bizarre and strange movie. Apparently it was a satirical comedy? I guess? Either way, not bad, just .. different.

And thus concludes our (delayed) datenight. Next time I am determined to claim the trophy of whatever-we-find-ourselves-competing-in :)

No comments:

Post a Comment