Written by Wifey.
So... the first question of the night was... How much wine do you need to overcome a M. Night Shyamalan (from here on out referred to as "Shyamalan-a-ding-dong") movie? The answer... A LOT. A whoooole lot.
But, I'm jumping ahevad of myself. For date night this week, I decided we should stretch our culinary wings a bit, and start off with making pizzas from scratch. Well.. by "from scratch", I mean that we bought pre-made dough, with pre-made sauce... but we put it all together ourselves! Inspired by last week's pizza creativity, Hubby and I decided to mix it up from our normal Hawaiian pizza fare. I made a delicious pesto/alfredo sauce, topped with lots of garlic & chicken. No surprise to those who know him, Hubby decided to see how much meat he could pile onto a pizza. Instead of sauce, he used turkey chili... with a layer of hot dog slices.. with a layer of bacon. It was very... meaty! ;-)
After dinner, it was movie time. Now, Hubby and I aren't movie snobs. Far from it, sometimes we pop in a bad movie on purpose, for the laughs. And if we go in with the right expectations ("This will be bad, just roll with it"), then we end up having a lot of fun. This was not one of those times!!
Hubby and I really enjoyed the Nickelodeon anime series "Avatar: The Last Airbender". (Not to be confused with "Avatar", with Pandora and James Cameron's blue people). Highly recommended. Anyway, they were making a live action movie of the series (YAY!), and for some strange odd reason, they decided to give the movie to the infamous Shyamalan-a-ding-dong (Ya-...wait...WTF???). Yeah, the same Shyamalan-a-ding-dong who once made the awesome "Sixth Sense", but is now mocked for lame movies like "The Happening", where a random twist comes out of nowhere, makes absolutely no sense, and generally flops spectacularly. That Shyamalan-a-ding-dong. Ooooh boy.
Well, it's okay... Hubby and I can roll with it... one of our friends warned us it was horrible, so we came prepared with a nice bottle of wine! Every time the movie got bad, we'd just drink some wine, and that would make it funny-bad, instead of bad-bad. Right? Right? yeah... didn't really help.
If you enjoyed the real "Avatar: The Last Airbender" series at all, then you'll pretty much hate the Shyamalan-a-ding-dong movie. From what I could tell, every single person in the production didn't bother to actually WATCH the popular series upon which the movie was based. While the movie loosely followed the plot (with weird jumps and holes all over the place), it completely missed the spirit of the series. The original series is quirky and funny, with awesome quotes like: [while hunting a cute baby animal] "You're awfully cute. But unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." The movie was flat, humorless, and overall just painful to watch. And to add insult to injury... they pronounced the names of the main characters wrong. Dude... the original is an animated TV show. Not a book. All you have to do is take a few minutes to watch part of the show, and realize: "okey dokey, now I know how to pronounce everyone's name!". Nope. Getting something as minor as the names of the main characters in a popular series that millions of people love obviously isn't important to a master of movies like Shyamalan-a-ding-dong . And that is why I now refer to him as Shyamalan-a-ding-dong.
Anyway, my rant deviates from the point. We had delicious home-made pizzas, a bad movie, and lots of wine. :-p And I love the fact that Hubby and I can have as much fun and laughs watching a bad movie as we can watching a good one!
(PS. Message to Hollywood: For the love of all that is holy, stop giving Shyamalan-a-ding-dong money to make movies!!!!)
Lloyd makes pizza the way I would make them. :) I ordered the 5 meaty pizza or whatever it's called from Peter Piper Pizza on Friday. So delicious!
ReplyDelete