Tuesday, November 30, 2010

yay for coupons & 4 day weekends!

Written by Wifey

Thanks to the holiday, Hubby and I had date night during the long weekend. Which meant, for the first time in ages we were able to start date night early, and thus had loads of time to do loads of stuff. Yay!!

A few weeks ago I managed to snag a coupon from OpenTable.com (a Groupon-esque site for restaurants) for a restaurant in downtown Culver City, Akasha. $25 for a $50 certificate, whoo-hoo! The restaurant offers organic socially conscious food, which is always awesome. When we opened up the menu, we were a bit shocked - how in the world were we going to meet the $50 min?? It looked like a fancy restaurant, but the first thing we saw on the menu was a burger & fries for $14. Huh. Well... time to bring out the big guns! So, we ordered some drinks, and some appetizers, and then Hubby discovered the special for the night - Kobe steak! Needless to say... we ate very very well that night. Hubby's drink tasted just like apple pie, my orange glazed chicken w/quinoa was the perfect balance of sweet & savory, and of course, the steak was delicious!

Time to go to the movie! but wait... we still have over an hour to go before it starts. Seriously? Odd... we're so used to rushing for our date night (a full day of work + gym + walking the dog doesn't leave much extra time to make the last showing of the night!), that it was a bit of a surprised. So, we headed over to Ugo next door for some of their yummy desserts. My eclairs were awesome - not too sweet, creamy, covered in chocolate, oh, and did I mention there were two of them on my plate?? *drools* oh, and Hubby's rum cake was pretty good too. ;-)

Then, off to the movie theater, where we bought tickets to Tangled (what can I say, for the most part, we're just two big kids at heart!!). Where... we still had time to spare! (yeah... having all this extra time on date night is way weird for us). So, we sat in the lobby and played scrabble on Hubby's iphone. Of course I won... well... i would have anyway... if the movie hadn't started before I had time to catch up and overcome lead. :-p soooo... i guess that means i kinda sorta lost? ;-)

The movie was okay, but after watching it, I can understand why Disney has decided no more fairy tale movies. It was cute and enjoyable while watching it, but it just didn't have the longevity of the classics, like Beauty & the Beast or Aladdin. The songs were meh, and there was very little in it for adults (unlike the Pixar films). If anything, the movie was aimed at pre-teens hitting that rebellious stage. Bottom line, cute, and worth the price of a matinee, but I'm not going to rush out and buy the DVD so I can watch it over and over.

And that was our awesomely long date night!! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment