Monday, October 3, 2011

Meat & Movie!

We had an early, rather spontaneous, date night last week. On Monday (or so) a friend lent us his DVD rental of "The Road", which came highly recommended. Armed with this knowledge and a week that started off pretty hectic, we decided that hey - we needed a date night sooner rather than later! With Lucille's within walking distance and a movie in hand, it was a done deal.

Lucille's was, as always, bloody fantastic. Fantastically delicious BBQ coupled with a beer or two, and you've got the start of a fantastic evening. I swear, the fact that one opened up within a block or two from our home will be our downfall. It will start The Fattening, and soon we will need to be carted around in dollies.

But hey, we'll cross that bridge when we get there!

After thoroughly devouring our meals we headed home with great excitement as we have heard a great many good things about The Road. In particular, the movie was recommended to my friend and I (who lent us the DVD) because of a discussion on whether or not to carry weapons concealed (or unconcealed) in a post-apocalyptic situation. The two opposing points of view are thus:

First, assumptions:
  • Society has gone to all hell, no law, no police, just plain fight-for-survival scenario (think Mad Max, only worse)
  • World is ruled by mostly gangs, can't trust anyone.
  • People are willing and able to shoot to kill (regardless of offensive or defensive motives)
  • You can't afford to not be armed, so assume everyone is armed.

Two views:
  • Carry concealed: Avoid being seen as a threat. Big threats will be targeted first by someone with malicious intent, smaller threats have a chance to escape in the chaos
  • Carry unconcealed: Show that you are able and willing to defend yourself, counting on someone with malicious intent to prey on "weaker" folks. Less risk to, say, confront an unarmed person vs armed.
So we have this discussion and it continues on for a while. A third friend listens in and keeps telling us that we need to watch The Road. So, my buddy rents it, tells me I need to watch it, and so here we are.

Alright, so with that in mind, on to the movie. Basically, some unexplained event caused the world to go to all hell - no living plants or animals, resulting in no food. Society has fallen so much to survive that humans just about hunt each other for food (in an effort to survive). Very disturbing stuff. The movie follows a father and son as they continually travel south. It's a tough movie to watch, but it's an interesting take on how far "civilized" society may fall in a terrifyingly desperate attempt to keep alive.

I won't spoil the movie, but suffice to say it's a good movie, albeit a bit long and very difficult to watch at times. And, to the discussion I had with my friend about unconcealed vs concealed .. I tell you what, if we ever found ourselves in a situation like that, I am covering myself head-to-toe in all manner of firearms! I might carry a loudspeaker announcing that a one-man-battalion is on the move. I might shoot flares up in the air to describe, in morse code, the amount of bullets I have, their calibers, and how readily I may shoot anything that comes my way.

Ok, maybe not that extreme - but regardless, yes, it cemented my view in unconcealed carry. But then again, we're talking post-apocalyptic hypothetical situations, which is just about as geeky as one can get.

But then again, I am a geek. And proud!

-Hubby

No comments:

Post a Comment