Thinking that, well, we've been in LA for many years and have tried to make it a point to see the cool sites and also going to a library might be kinda fun, we decided that we shall make a Date Day out of it. More time to explore, check out cool things, etc. So that's what we did!
The library itself is this enormous building with several floors, all decked out in various art exhibits and installations. I think we spent a good five hours there just walking around taking pictures and exploring. We had thoughts of finding a few books and relaxing, but ya know, there's so much to see!

Particularly impressive was the escalators taking you to the various floors, all staggered one after the other. You really get a sense for how big this place really is. At the top they had an installation depicting nature, technology, and spirituality. It was interesting to look at but not one of our favorite installations at the library, to say that in the politest way possible!
They also had these lantern / light things on the side opposite the gigantic pillars that were supposed to show the human profile. Wifey and I stared at it a good 10 minutes before giving up. If there's a human profile in there, we don't certainly didn't see it!

We also spent a gross amount of time at the 40 years of Sesame Street exhibition, looking at the illustration, lithographs, concept art, etc. Really really neat, especially since I never had the pleasure of watching Sesame Street when I was younger. I still find the whole production really fascinating, as it Sesame Street went well above-and-beyond just teaching kids how to read and identify objects, but also taught them about confidence, tolerance, etc. So I really enjoyed the exhibit for that reason, while Wifey enjoyed reminiscing about the shows she had watched.
All in all, this was a great experience and would highly recommend anyone visiting LA should check out the library. It's really something else, and not anything like your old dusty boring library.
Hubby

No comments:
Post a Comment